Lavenham - where time stood still

By Unknown - June 27, 2018

The delicate grey sky of March gave nothing away of what we were about to discover as we drove into the village of Lavenham. My fiancé and I were exploring Essex & Suffolk for a long weekend and when I heard about this Medieval village I knew we just had to visit. From the moment we stepped out of the inconspicuous village car park my eyes were greeted with an old pink cottage! I don't think I blinked or breathed for quite some time as we walked past leaning cottages in candy colours and wonky walls all held together with aged old beams. Oh the stories this village could tell, dating right back to the 15th Century!  

The little lanes were as peaceful as a library with just the song of a Black Bird looking like a weather vane perched on a crooked brick chimney. 

As I was strolling along taking photographs a charming elderly lady walked along in her cheery pink jumper and tartan skirt. I do love to start up conversations and it turned out she lived in this village, with over 300 listed buildings, I said it must be a magical place to live. She agreed with a gentle smile, "yes despite the challenges of wonky floors & walls!" It was a joy to talk with her as I continued on my way down Lady Street!  The glorious Spring hanging baskets peaked my garden curiosity as I wondered what was behind the little cottages, to grand Guild Hall & magnificent Hotel, The Swan (see my drawing below). I will have to go back one day with my trusty sketchbook, & camera. Wouldn't it be fun to embroider some of these houses too!   In the meantime let's talk a stroll together...








A Historic "Wool Town" Lavenham was built on the successes of it's fabulous wool, even with their own cloth colour "Lavenham Blue" made from the dye of the Woad Plant. However with changes to tax and sanctions on this trade they went from the 14th richest town in England to falling into poverty. It turns out that this actually saved the town as you can see nowadays as there were no funds for improving the properties.  Now thanks to conservation it is widely acclaimed to be the best preserved Medieval village in the UK.







This is De Vere House, a 14th Century cottage used as the fictional birthplace of Harry Potter and was featured in the Deathly Hallows Part One. If you had nearly £1 million pounds you could buy it!  Isn't that door in a door amazing! 


The Guild Hall 







We stayed in a gorgeous traditional Inn & Boutique Hotel called The Crown, an easy 20 minutes drive from Lavenham. Peacefully nestled between fields on one side and sweet historic village on the other it made a lovely home from home with delicious meals.  When we left they very sweetly gave us some bottled water for the journey and a tasty Apple & Pear Chutney, a nice touch to a delightful stay.


<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12304559/?claim=mcrty4su6m3">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. What a wonderful town filled with so much character. So glad to see that it has been preserved. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete